Mental health quotes are important because they, like any other conversation about mental health issues, shine some necessary light on the subject. People still think that they have to hide their struggles. Mental health is still something that isn’t a top priority.
It’s such a shame that as a society we aren’t more diligent about mental health. So many people are suffering in silence, scared that others will judge them. So they don’t seek help.
And they pretend that everything is alright, hoping that eventually, it will be. And sometimes, it is alright. But other times, the consequences of staying quiet, not seeking help, and pretending that everything is OK can be devastating.
Hopefully, these mental health quotes will help you on your journey towards recovery. Even better, maybe some of you are scared of seeking help and these quotes will push you to do so.
I understand your fears. But please realize that you are not alone, and you do deserve help, compassion, and understanding. We all do. If you are currently struggling with your mental health, click here and get the support you deserve today.
27 Best Mental Health Quotes to Show You That You Aren’t Alone in Your Struggle
Mental Health Quotes That Offer Necessary Insight
1. “It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas and feelings proves the validity of these ideas and feelings. Nothing could be further from the truth. Consensual validation as such has no bearing on reason or mental health.” ― Erich Fromm
2. “Mental health is not a destination, but a process. It’s about how you drive, not where you’re going.” — Noam Shpancer
3. “Mental health affects every aspect of your life. It’s not just this neat little issue you can put into a box.” — Shannon Purser
4. “If we start being honest about our pain, our anger, and our shortcomings instead of pretending they don’t exist, then maybe we’ll leave the world a better place than we found it.” — Russell Wilson
5. “One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart.” — Linda Poindexter
6. “I lied and said I was busy.
I was busy;
but not in a way most people understand.
I was busy taking deeper breaths,
And I was busy silencing irrational thoughts.
I was busy calming a racing heart,
And I was busy telling myself I am okay.
Sometimes, this is my busy —
and I will not apologize for it.”
― Brittin Oakman
7. “Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of, but stigma and bias shame us all.” — Bill Clinton
Mental Health Quotes That Show That It’s OK to Have Bad Days as Long as You Always Move Forward
8. “Sometimes, the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to; it’s not for them.” — Joubert Botha
9. “In any given moment, we have two options: to step forward into growth or to step back into safety.” — Abraham Maslow
10. “What does your anxiety do? It does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but it empties today of its strength. It does not make you escape the evil; anxiety makes you unfit to cope with it if it comes.” ― Raymond L. Cramer
11. “Your illness is not your identity. Your chemistry is not your character.” — Pastor Rick Warren
12. “Your illness does not define you. Your strength and courage do.” — Anonymous
13. “Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary.” — Fred Rogers
14. “It’s okay to feel unstable, it’s okay to disassociate. It’s okay to hide from the world, and it’s okay to need help. What’s more, it’s okay not to be okay. Your mental illness is not a personal failure.” — Anonymous
Inspiring Mental Health Quotes That Will Motivate You to Seek Help
15. “What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.” — Glenn Close
16. “The pain of severe depression is quite unimaginable to those who have not suffered it, and it kills in many instances because its anguish can no longer be borne. The prevention of many suicides will continue to be hindered until there is a general awareness of the nature of this pain.” ― William Styron
17. “Being able to be your true self is one of the strongest components of good mental health.” — Dr. Lauren Fogel Mersy
18. “The acknowledgment of having suffered evil is the greatest step forward in mental health. And it’s best to do that in therapy.” ― Stefan Molyneux
19. “There isn’t anybody out there who doesn’t have a mental health issue, whether it’s depression, anxiety, or how to cope with relationships. Having OCD is not an embarrassment anymore ― for me. Just know that there is help and your life could be better if you go out and seek that help.” ― Howie Mandel
20. “It’s up to you today to start making healthy choices. Not choices that are just healthy for your body, but healthy for your mind.” ― Steve Maraboli
21. “Do not just slay your demons; dissect them and find what they’ve been feeding on.” ― Anonymous
Motivational Mental Health Quotes That Show That Normal Is Subjective
22. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” ― John Green
23. “There is no standard normal. Normal is subjective. There are seven billion versions of normal on this planet.” ― Matt Haig
24. “Everybody knows there is no such thing as normal. There is no black-and-white definition of normal. Normal is subjective. There’s only a messy, inconsistent, silly, hopeful version of how we feel most at home in our lives.” ― Tori Spelling
25. “Living with anxiety, turning up, and doing stuff with anxiety takes a strength most people will never know.”― Matt Haig
26. “Mental health sufferers are not crazy. They have special insight. You better recognize that setting aside your interest people to stay asleep and show empathy towards God’s imperfect creations, otherwise the world has no meaning to exist.”― Maria Karvouni
27. “There is so much pain in the world, and most of these people keep their secrets, rolling through agonizing lives in invisible wheelchairs, dressed in invisible body casts.” ― Andrew Solomon
Mental health is vital, and having open, honest, and transparent conversations about it will help not only individuals but also society as a whole. There are so many people who have lost the fight. But there are also those who are still struggling with getting a grip on their issues. And we have to help them.
Sure, these mental health quotes might not do much but to someone, they can be the turning point they’ve been waiting for.