Words can be a powerful source of inspiration, especially when going through something difficult, like dealing with addiction.
In that case, the struggle is real, and the right words can offer a great dose of strength to help overcome this condition.
To that end, I’ve rounded up an inspiring collection of encouraging quotes addicts can turn to when things get tough.
This inspirational collection is full of the very best quotes about addiction I could find on the web.
It also includes reflections on addiction from people who have overcome it, encouraging quotes on giving up, and motivational life quotes about struggling with addiction and the recovery process.
Let’s take a look!
Top 10 Quotes Addicts Will Find Inspirational
1. “What is addiction, really? It is a sign, a signal, a symptom of distress. It is a language that tells us about a plight that must be understood.” – Alice Miller
2. “People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within.” — Ramona L. Anderson
3. “We may think there is willpower involved, but more likely … change is due to want power. Wanting the new addiction more than the old one. Wanting the new me in preference to the person I am now.” — George Sheehan
4. “Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking of what we want to become. Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking about who we don’t ever want to be again.” — Shane Niemeyer
5. “Recovery is hard. Regret is harder.” — Brittany Burgunder
6. “It’s been a learning process, I’m growing. I couldn’t believe that anybody could be naturally happy without being on something. So I would say to anybody, ‘it does get better.’” — Eminem
7. “I’ve been sober for 18 years now. It wasn’t like you flick a switch, and you’re sober. It takes a while. You have to learn how to do everything all over again. There is life after addiction, and it’s really good.” — Joe Walsh
8. “Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.” — J.K. Rowling
9. “These feelings, no matter how painful, are part of living. Today, we are alive—not anesthetized, not sedated, not passed out. Take control of your feelings, and through action, you can change. Today, as every day of sober living, we have a choice.” — Ann D. Clark
10. “Everyone has inside them a piece of good news. The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!” — Anne Frank
Quotes Addicts Will Find Relatable
1. “First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you.” — Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald
2. “Addictions … started out like magical pets, pocket monsters. They did extraordinary tricks, showed you things you hadn’t seen, were fun. But came, through some gradual dire alchemy, to make decisions for you. Eventually, they were making your most crucial life decisions. And they were… less intelligent than goldfish.” — William Gibson
3. “Quitting smoking is easy. I’ve done it a hundred times.” — Mark Twain
4. “The priority of any addict is to anesthetize the pain of living to ease the passage of day with some purchased relief.” — Russell Brand
5. “You can get the monkey off your back, but the circus never leaves town.” — Anne Lamott
6. “The worst part about anything that’s self-destructive is that it’s so intimate. You become so close with your addictions and illnesses that leaving them behind is like killing the part of yourself that taught you how to survive.” — Lacey L.
7. “Addiction is an adaptation. It’s not you – it’s the cage you live in.” — Johann Hari
8. “We don’t choose to be addicted; what we choose to do is deny our pain.” — Unknown
9. “Addiction, at its worst, is akin to having Stockholm Syndrome. You’re like a hostage who has developed an irrational affection for your captor. They can abuse you, torture you, even threaten to kill you, and you’ll remain inexplicably and disturbingly loyal.” — Anne Clendening
10. “When you can stop, you don’t want to. And when you want to stop, you can’t. That’s addiction.” — Unknown
11. “Drugs take you to hell, disguised as heaven.” — Donald Lyn Frost
12. “I understood myself only after I destroyed myself. And only in the process of fixing myself did I know who I really was.” — Unknown
13. “At first, addiction is maintained by pleasure, but the intensity of the pleasure gradually diminishes, and the addiction is then maintained by the avoidance of pain.” — Frank Tallis
14. “Addiction is the only prison where the locks are on the inside.” — Unknown
15. “Never underestimate a recovering addict. We fight for our lives every day in ways most people will never understand.” — Unknown
16. “Every worthy act is difficult. Ascent is always difficult. Descent is easy and often slippery.” — Mahatma Gandhi
17. “I realized that I only had two choices: I was either going to die, or I was going to live, and which one did I want to do? And then I said those words, ‘I’ll get help,’ or, ‘I need help. I’ll get help.’ And my life turned around. Ridiculous for a human being to take 16 years to say, ‘I need help.’” — Sir Elton John
18. “Getting sober was one of the three pivotal events in my life, along with becoming an actor and having a child. Of the three, finding my sobriety was the hardest.” — Robert Downey Jr.
19. “All the suffering, stress, and addiction comes from not realizing you already are what you are looking for.” — Jon Kabat-Zinn
20. “Addiction begins with the hope that something “out there” can instantly fill up the emptiness inside.” — Jean Kilbourne
Encouraging Quotes About Overcoming Addiction
1. “Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street.” — Zig Ziglar
2. “I am not defined by my relapses, but in my decision to remain in recovery despite them.” — Unknown
3. “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” — Carl Bard
4. “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars.” — Unknown
5. “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” — Zen Proverb
6. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” — Henry Ford
7. “Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles, and you have to change it.” — James Lee Curtis
8. “The best way out is always through.” — Robert Frost
9. “Recovery didn’t open the gates of heaven and let me in. Recovery opened the gates of hell and let me out!” — Unknown
10. “If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.” — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
11. “You just have to take it one day at a time. Some days are easier than others, and some days you forget about drinking and using, but for me, I work on my physical health, which is important, but my mental health as well.” — Demi Lovato
12. “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
13. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” — Nelson Mandela
14. “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” — Audre Lorde
15. “Be stronger than your strongest excuse.” – Unknown
16. “Recovery: It will be challenging. It will also be worth it. You will relapse, and that’s ok, as long as you keep fighting“. — Unknown
17. “Remember just because you hit bottom doesn’t mean you have to stay there.” — Robert Downey
18. I’m not telling you it is going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it. — Unknown
19. “Recovery is an ongoing process for both the addict and his or her family. In recovery, there is hope. And hope is a wonderful thing.” — Dean Dauphinais
20. “You don’t get over an addiction by stopping using. You recover by creating a new life where it is easier to not use. If you don’t create a new life, then all the factors that brought you to addiction will catch up with you again.” — Unknown
Powerful Quotes Addicts Will Find Motivating
1. Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall.” — Oliver Goldsmith
2. “When I got sober, I thought giving up was saying goodbye to all the fun and all the sparkle, and it turned out to be just the opposite. That’s when the sparkle started for me.” — Mary Karr
3. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” — Robert Collier
4. “One step at a time. One day at a time. One hour at a time.” — Unknown
5. “Recovery is not for people who need it. It’s for people who want it.” — Unknown
6. “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” — Japanese proverb
7. “Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take the step.” — Naeem Callaway
8. “You can come out of the furnace of trouble two ways: if you let it consume you, you come out a cinder; but there is a kind of metal which refuses to be consumed, and comes out a star.” — Jean Church
9. “My recovery from drug addiction is the single greatest accomplishment of my life, but it takes work — hard, painful work — but the help is there, in every town and career, drug/drink freed members of society, from every single walk and talk of life to help and guide.” — Jamie Lee Curtis
10. “Recovery is about progression, not perfection.” — Unknown
11. “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” — C.S. Lewis
12. “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” — Confucius
13. “It is 10 years since I used drugs or alcohol, and my life has improved immeasurably. I have a job, a house, a cat, good friendships, and, generally, a bright outlook… The price of this is constant vigilance because the disease of addiction is not rational.” — Russell Brand
14. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” — Mahatma Gandhi
15. “If it wasn’t for that rehab center, I probably wouldn’t have been here. In terms of recovery, it has been very important for me to be a part of a recovery community, to actively be around my people because they understand me.” — Macklemore
16. “What progress, you ask, have I made? I have begun to be a friend to myself.” — Hecato
17. “The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.” — William James
18. “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” — Chinese proverb
19. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” — Socrates
20. “I really mean when I say my biggest fear in early recovery was that I would never have fun again. The beautiful truth is that recovery has given me freedom and the confidence to go out in the world and leave my own mark.” — Tom Stoddart
Thank you for reading my collection of inspirational quotes addicts will find relatable.
I hope it will reach those who are struggling or recovering from addiction so they can be inspired by these encouraging words and overcome their biggest enemy – their addiction!