People smile at each other all the time. Those smiling faces may be genuine, but they could also be hiding a lie. Therefore, I’ve prepared a selection of my favorite quotes about fake smiles to help you figure out what’s lurking behind.
There are many reasons you might want to put on a fake smile. Maybe you are just feeling down and don’t want anyone to know about it. Perhaps you sometimes force a smile to make someone close to you feel better.
On the other hand, not all fake smiles come with good intentions. People tend to fake smiles in order to get something or trick you. Take a look at my collection of quotes about fake smiles, and you’ll be able to find the truth behind them.
Quotes About Fake Smiles that are Hiding the Sadness
1. “I smile not for that I am happy, but sometimes I smile to hide sadness.” — Rahim Chamkanai
We all get sad sometimes and don’t want the world to know about it. It’s only natural that we want people to see us at our best.
Therefore, if you want to hide that you’re feeling down, put on a smile — no one will know what you’re hiding behind it.
2. “I’ll fake all the smiles if it stops all the questions.”
Once you confide in people about your problems, they will start asking all sorts of questions.
Talking about what’s bothering you can be painful. Moreover, you certainly don’t want to share your deepest worries with just anyone. In that case, putting on a fake smile will save you from unwanted questions.
3. “I hide hurt behind a fake smile. I wear it all the time. Everyone says how I always look so cheerful. Shows what they know, I guess.” — Ellen Hopkins
When you hide your worries behind a fake smile, people will accordingly form opinions about you. They might think you are a gleeful person, with a perfect life, and no problems at all. This can even cause jealousy and mean behavior.
It’s OK to fake a smile to hide your sadness, but make sure you have at least one person who you can be honest with. Otherwise, you’ll feel alienated, as if no one actually knows the real you.
4. “Put on your fake smiles and show the world how strong you are of holding the pain inside.”
It takes a lot of strength to make yourself forget about your problems and put on a smile. Appreciate how strong you are for being able to stay positive in spite of everything.
5. “Just because I am smiling doesn’t mean I am happy. Because it takes just one smile to hide a million tears.”
Just as you force a smile sometimes, so do other people. Don’t judge them or envy them for their smiling, cheerful lifestyle. You never know if they are really happy or just trying to hide their misery.
6. “I can’t really act the way I want to act or say what I want to say all the time. And a lot of times, I cover that up with a smile.” — Hilary Duff
Imagine this situation. You’ve just found out that your boyfriend has cheated on you and today, you have an important meeting at work. You show up all miserable, with puffy eyes and a runny nose, and instead of impressing the client and signing the deal, you start crying and ranting about your broken heart.
Is it OK to destroy your career like this? Of course not.
Even if you’re not a celebrity like Hilary Duff, there are certainly moments when you just mustn’t show your true feelings. Instead, be brave and put on your best smile. You can still cry when you get back home.
7. “Hide all your problems behind your sweetest smile. Because there is no one to help you out in your problems. You alone have to face it. So face it with a smile.” — Anurag Prakash Ray
While having a shoulder to cry on is comforting, it won’t help you solve your problems. You have to do it yourself. No one can do it for you.
So, put on a smile and do everything you can to solve the issue. In time, that fake smile will become real.
Quotes About Fake Smiles Hiding Bad Intentions
1. “Plastic people flashing fake smiles at a pretend world.” — Steven James
While some people put on a fake smile to hide their sadness, others do so in order to achieve something.
Has it ever happened to you that someone was so nice to you only to realize later they were just using you? It probably has. Don’t let their fake smiles fool you — they will be friendly and smiling only until they get what they want.
2. “I despise the rituals of fake friendship. I wish we could just claw each other’s eyes out and call it a day; instead, we put on huge radiant smiles and spout compliments until our teeth hurt from the saccharine sweetness of it all.” — Jody Gehrman
The problem with fake smiles is that people tend to use them to hide their true intentions or what they think of you. Therefore, you can never know if someone is truly your friend and is smiling because they care about you or it’s just a show. Maybe they’re smiling at you now, but later, they will be talking behind your back.
I used to have a ”friend” like that. She was always nice and smiling, but later, I found out she was saying all sorts of things about me to other people to make herself seem more successful. Needless to say, I was much happier once I ended this so-called friendship.
Trust me — you want these fake people out of your life. If someone is not your real friend, don’t tolerate those insincere smiles. Instead, say goodbye to them.
3. “A Fake Smile can prevent something bad from happening, but it can also create further misunderstandings.” — Saadat Khan
The problem with a fake smile is that it can cause many misunderstandings. For instance, you’re smiling at someone because you want to be polite, but they read it as a sign you’re attracted to them. That can lead to quite an uncomfortable situation.
Therefore, be careful when you fake a smile — you don’t know how others might interpret it.
Quotes About Fake smiles to Inspire You
1. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” — Nhat Hanh
I can recall plenty of situations when I was feeling down and felt as if I’d never be happy again. Do you know what cheered me up? I told myself to smile and find a silver lining in everything — in time, that positive attitude became genuine.
So go ahead, stay strong, and smile. It will help you deal with your problems and move on.
2. “You walk through life much easier with a smile on your face.” — Sweet Paul
People who tend to smile a lot usually have a positive attitude towards life. So, put on a smile — you’ll feel more confident and joyful, not to mention think more positively. Even if the smile is fake, it will still make your life more successful and fulfilling.
3. “Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.”
When you feel depressed, someone’s smile and cheerful attitude might make you feel much better. Therefore, when you see a sad person in your environment, be it your friend or someone you don’t know that well, give them your best smile and make their day.
4. “I was smiling yesterday, I am smiling today, and I will smile tomorrow. Simply because life is too short to cry for anything.” — Santosh Kalwar
Even though it’s full of difficult moments, life is meant to be fun and enjoyable.
Thus, even when you’re feeling miserable, don’t let yourself cry for too long. There are many other things that will cheer you up and let you forget about whatever’s troubling you.
Life is too short to spend it being sad. Put on a smile and get the best out of it.
Sad but True Quotes About Fake Smiles
1. “It’s getting harder and harder to wear a fake smile every day because the more I wear it, the more I know how much of a lie it is.” — Jack Davenport
Unfortunately, smiling doesn’t always help. It stops being useful and positive when you use it to turn your life into a lie.
If you’re faking smiles literally every day and are never truly cheerful, you might have some serious mental issues, such as depression or severe anxiety. In that case, it’s crucial that you look for professional help.
2. “Juniper laughed for real, but one of those fake smiles he considered a plague of the Caucasian race followed. If you’re sad, be sad, he wanted to say.” — Jo-Ann Mapson
Fake smiles can make you feel better at times, but it’s also important that you remember that it’s OK to be sad. Don’t feel ashamed just because something has brought you down.
Instead of suppressing your emotions, here’s what I suggest. Lie comfortably on your couch with your favorite sweets, watch Inside Out, and learn how to embrace your Sadness.
Everyone fakes a smile sometimes. Maybe it’s because they want to appear happy to others while they’re sad inside. Perhaps they’re trying to make the world a better, more positive place, or they’re just hiding their true character.
Whatever the reason for those smiles may be, these quotes about fake smiles will certainly help you understand them better.