According to the World Health Organization, almost 800,000 people die of suicide annually. But as horrific as that number is, it doesn’t sink in until you know someone who struggles with suicidal thoughts. Still, if you’re not intimately familiar with the situation, these suicide quotes may reveal how and why it has become such a global issue.
Unfortunately, I do have some first-hand experience with this subject. One of my closest friends growing up has attempted to take his own life more than once. Thankfully, he’s now in his late twenties, thriving — but not everyone gets to be that lucky. After all, suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15 to 29-year-olds.
Still, the experiences I’ve had with my friend have made me a huge proponent of self-care and therapy. As these quotes will show, suicide is the most extreme outcome of putting our mental health needs on the back burner.
27 Honest and Heartbreaking Suicide Quotes
Straight From The Source: Suicide Quotes That Show the Struggle
1. “If I commit suicide, it will not be to destroy myself but to put myself back together again. Suicide will be for me only one means of violently reconquering myself, of brutally invading my being, of anticipating the unpredictable approaches of God. By suicide, I reintroduce my design in nature, I shall for the first time give things the shape of my will.” — Antonin Artaud
2. “I’m not glorifying it at all, I’m just basically telling you that sometimes I have suicidal thoughts. And maybe I should seek help, or maybe it’s not that deep.” — ASAP Rocky
3. “Nothing in my life has ever made me want to commit suicide more than people’s reaction to my trying to commit suicide.” — Emilie Autumn
4. “At great periods you have always felt, deep within you, the temptation to commit suicide. You gave yourself to it, breached your own defenses. You were a child. The idea of suicide was a protest against life; by dying, you would escape this longing for death.” — Cesare Pavese
5. “There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that… But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.” ― Gerard Way
Contemplative Suicide Quotes That Illustrate Why People Take the Plunge
6. “I think many people kill themselves simply to stop the debate about whether they will or they won’t.” ― Susanna Kaysen
7. “Sometimes I wonder if suicides aren’t in fact sad guardians of the meaning of life.” — Vaclav Havel
8. “I have no shame around the fact that I can be shot into suicidal feelings by certain people’s treatment of me. I am no different to any other person, I therefore act as I believe any other person should be free to.” — Sinead O’Connor
9. “Did you really want to die?”
“No one commits suicide because they want to die.”
“Then why do they do it?”
“Because they want to stop the pain.” — Tiffanie DeBartolo
10. “The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
11. “Suicide may also be regarded as an experiment — a question which man puts to Nature, trying to force her to answer. The question is this: What change will death produce in a man’s existence and in his insight into the nature of things? It is a clumsy experiment to make; for it involves the destruction of the very consciousness which puts the question and awaits the answer.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
Tragic and Humorous Suicide Quotes That Demonstrate Our Complex Feelings Toward Depression
12. “We couldn’t imagine the emptiness of a creature who put a razor to her wrists and opened her veins, the emptiness, and the calm.” — Jeffrey Eugenides
13. “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.” — Phil Donahue
14. “Suicide is a serious thing. And if you know anyone who is suicidal, you need to get them help. No one should be in pain. Everyone should love themselves.” — Gerard Way
15. “Anyone desperate enough for suicide…should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.” — Richard Bach
16. “If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
17. “It is not worth the bother of killing yourself since you always kill yourself too late.” ― Emil Cioran
18. “Suicide is man’s way of telling God, ‘You can’t fire me — I quit!’” — Bill Maher
19. “When you’re young and healthy you can plan on Monday to commit suicide, and by Wednesday you’re laughing again.” ― Marilyn Monroe
What Would People Say? Suicide Quotes About Shame, Guilt, and Grief
20. “From the perspective of the one committing suicide, his or her act can be one of the most perverse forms of moral manipulation, as it abandons those left behind to their shame, guilt, and grief. Suicide is something like a metaphysical “I gotcha!” It is often an attempt to kill or wound others.” — Stanley Hauerwas
21. “Suicide creates a monstrous emotional upsurge of shame and guilt. Everyone participates in feeling responsible and even shamed at knowing the suicidal candidate. If these feelings are not healed the vampire of suicidal death can strike again and again.” — Linda Lee Landon
22. “There are many who dare not kill themselves for fear of what the neighbors will say.” — Cyril Connolly
Bravery or Cowardice? Suicide Quotes That Explain the Age-Old Debate About Taking Your Own Life
23. “Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live.” — Charles Caleb
24. “You think suicide is cowardly? I’ll tell you what’s cowardly. Hurting someone so much that they think ending their lives is the only way to make it better.” — Ashley Purdy
25. “But in the end, one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.” — Albert Camus
26. “Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
27. “The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die.” ― Juliette Lewis
Between therapy, free hotlines, and various online resources, getting access to mental health services is now easier than ever. But that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t keep fighting for better solutions!
When I wanted to help people who were struggling with suicidal thoughts, I found organizations that were already devoted to that work. If these suicide quotes have awakened the same desire in you, you could donate or volunteer at one of those. Alternatively, you could simply make it a point to educate yourself and others on the subject of suicide prevention.