Making a good impression on a first date is something we all love to do. It’s not just as simple as thinking what do women want in a man, as of course, every woman may be looking for something different.
You might be thinking what can I do to not only be memorable but also leave a lasting impression where she will want to come back for more. The truth is, most men only need to tweak a few things in their approach, and this will usually be enough to make those first dates successful.
It’s true that some women like a confident man who is strong-willed and upfront with his opinions. But on the other hand, there is a strong belief that if you can make her laugh and giggle, you’re going to increase the chances of that first date turning into something more serious.
“If you meet someone who you can laugh with, it could mean your future relationship is going to be fun and filled with good cheer,” explained Jeffrey Hall, the associate professor of communication studies from the University of Kanvas.
But still, you may be thinking that it’s far too difficult to know what women find attractive and how you can make an impression. Don’t worry though, as we’ll run through some of the first things women look for during the first meetup.
1. Confidence – This isn’t just about being full of yourself, but more about being able to start a conversation, and also hold one. Instead of just listening, you should get involved and ask questions back. Tell her a few interesting stories along with a few jokes to make her laugh. Be appealing and use your charm by giving her your full attention.
2. Clothes – What you wear the first time you meet someone, is crucial when trying to make a first impression. Hygiene and cleanliness should be your primary objective, as any unpleasant smells or stains will have her heading in the opposite direction. It’s also important to ensure that you are realistic with your clothes sizes in comparison to your body size. Wearing something too tight or too baggy, may also dent your chances of a second date.
3. Face – I would like to point out here that this isn’t about how handsome you are. Simple grooming habits go a long way, whether you have a full beard or just a short stubble. And make sure not to forget the nose and ear hair too. As an added bonus, keeping your skin well moisturised will also give you a few brownie points along the way.
4. Smile – Multiple studies have shown that the right amount of smiling and eye contact has always been a winner when trying to attract women. However your dental hygiene will also determine how your smiling will impress her, so make sure to brush and floss. As mentioned above, you need to find the right balance of how much you should smile, as too much of it may come across a little weird.
5. Mannerisms – Set the tone for the date, and communicate with her in a way that makes her feel comfortable from the moment she walks in. Pull her seat out, smile at her with good eye contact. It’s definitely worth giving her a nice compliment about the way she looks too.
So now we have looked at some of the things women look for, there are also a few things you may want to avoid.
• Don’t be late
• Avoid talking about your ex
• Avoid being rude/bad manners
• Don’t forget your wallet
• Don’t try to make the first move
• Don’t look at other women when you’re on a date
Hopefully, you now know the kind of things women look for in a man and understand what you might need to brush up on, to ensure you have her walking away wanting a second date with you.
It’s not all about looks and manners though. The difference between an okay date and a memorable date is ultimately good chemistry. But how does she feel that chemistry? Well, this is where a second date is more important than the first. According to Susan Trembetti, matchmaker and CEO of matchmaking, ‘’A first date, despite what some think, doesn’t reveal a lot except that you look like your online photo’’.
Women hope that your first date appearance and manners won’t just vanish once you think you’ve won her over. So guys, if you’re having to change yourself on that first date to fit the above, try to stick to it in the long run.
Be confident, well-groomed, wear your best fragrance and most importantly make her feel like she is the only thing that matters!